On June 20th 2001, the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) issued a Transmission System Operator (TSO) Licence to EirGrid plc pursuant to Section 14 (1) (e) of the Electricity Regulation Act, 1999, as inserted by Regulation 32 of Statutory Instrument (SI) No. 445 of 2000 - European Communities (Internal Market in Electricity) Regulations 2001. Please note: SI No 60 of 2005, the European Communities (Internal Market in Electricity) Regulations 2005, came into effect on 5th February 2005 and contains amendments to SI 445/2000 and the 1999 Act. Further amendments have been made by Energy (Miscellaneous) Provisions Act 2006, Electricity Regulation (Amendment) (Single Electricity Market) Act 2007, Electricity Regulation (Amendment) (EirGrid) Act 2008 and SI No 59 of 2009, European Communities (Internal Market in Electricity) (Amendment) Regulations 2009. To view these documents please see our Publications page.
From July 1st 2006, EirGrid plc has assumed the role of Transmission System Operator and Market Operator. Pursuant to Electricity Regulation (Amendment) (Single Electricity Market) Act 2007 which provided for the establishment of the Single Electricity Market on an all-island basis, EirGrid together with SONI Ltd, Market Operator in Northern Ireland, operate the wholesale electricity market in Ireland known as SEMO (Single Electricity Market Operator).
Accordingly please note any references on this website to ESB National Grid (ESBNG), which previously had these roles, shall be read as references to EirGrid, which from July 1st 2006 is the legal entity with full responsibility for the Transmission System Operator functions.
- The EirGrid website contains general and technical information, which is subject to change from time to time without notice.
- Whilst it strives to ensure as high a level of accuracy as possible, EirGrid makes no warranties or representations of any kind with respect to: (a) the content of this website (including without limitation its quality, accuracy, and completeness), or (b) the content of any other website referred to or accessed by means of a hypertext link through this website.
- Use of this website and the information it contains is at the user's own risk.
- EirGrid does not accept liability for any loss or damage arising from use of this website or reliance on the information it contains.
- EirGrid accepts no liability for the information provided by any third party sites.
This website contains general information about EirGrid. The materials contained on and in this website are provided for general information purposes only and are subject to change from time to time without notice. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any material contained on or in this website without seeking appropriate professional advice. All materials and information are provided "AS IS" and without warranties express, implied or otherwise howsoever arising. We cannot be liable for inaccuracies, errors, omissions or misleading information contained in this website.
Use of this website and the information it contains is solely at the user’s own risk.
All rights reserved. This entire publication is subject to the laws of copyright. This publication may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or manual, including photocopying without the prior written permission of the Communications Manager of EirGrid plc.
- EirGrid will safeguard any information received from customers/users in accordance with strict standards of security and confidentiality.
- EirGrid pledges to keep the collection and use of customer/user information to a minimum.
- EirGrid will not release customer/user information to third parties without the prior consent of customers/users.
If you require that your personal information be removed from our files please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This site may provide links to other sites. Privacy policies on these sites may differ from that on the EirGrid site and we advise that you review the other site's policies before providing personal information. While every care has been taken to ensure the high quality and standard of sites to which we link, EirGrid can take no responsibility for the content of these sites.
This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under its control. Information held by this site is stored on password-protected machines, behind a firewall and not accessible to the general public via the Web.
Social Media and Twitter
EirGrid strives to ensure as high a level of accuracy as possible of all information it communicates by Social Media or Twitter. However, the legal disclaimer on this website also applies to any Social Media or Twitter or other communication by EirGrid. The materials contained herein are provided for general information purposes only. EirGrid is not liable for any reliance howsoever placed on same.